Thursday, November 1, 2007

Perm Solution Memories

Isn't it funny how smells bring back memories?? Today I had my hair chemically straightened. It's like getting a perm in reverse. Remember the 80's when women always had a perm? I think I had one from 1975 to 1997 constantly. I haven't had a perm for years. I remember sitting in the chair at Grandma Redding's beauty shop time and time again while she wrapped my hair tightly around the perm rods. Watching her pull the rubber band to hold the rod each time. I remember her tucking a long strip of cotton all around my head under the rods so that the perm solution wouldn't run in my eyes. Then came the smell of the solution followed by time under the hair dryer with air so warm it made my cheeks rosy. Then with a warm head the feeling of the cold neutralizing solution running through the perm rods on my head. Next followed thorough rinsing of the rods and then finally - removal of those darn perm rods! What followed next was the best - soft, silky, curly hair. Today all those memories came to me as I sat in the salon. Things have changed a bit....Grandma is now 87, and no perm rods or dryer was used. I'm sure Grandma would still give me a perm if I dared. :) That's okay...I'll stick with my good memories!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

That's funny, my memories are more like mild nightmares in that beauty shop. He He.

Aunt Debbie

Jules said...

I didn't say anywhere I ENJOYED getting perms....LOL. :) J